Blog for hpHosts, and whatever else I feel like writing about ....

Wednesday 23 December 2009

Twitter spam: IAC WebFetti

I received an e-mail from a friend earlier, alterting me to possible malicious content over on Twitter (surprise surprise), and what I found actually did surprise me for a change.

This spam run didn't lead to a worm, trojan, virus or other infection - but to an IAC website, webfetti.com.

One thing they all have in common, aside from the IAC connection? Well, that would be Twivert. A site that advertises itself as a "Twitter advertising network". Quite why publishers such as IAC, who are presently trying to convince everyone they've gone legit, would think this kind of behaviour was a good thing, is beyond me.

You'll no doubt be surprised to learn, Twivert is run by an Indian based "company" (I'm beginning to wonder if there's so much as a single legit company over there, all of those I've come across have been involved in spam or phishing);

Registrant:
ISquare
280-A LLoyds Road
Gopalapuram
Chennai, Tamil Nadu 600086
India

Domain Name: TWIVERT.COM
Created on: 25-May-09
Expires on: 25-May-11
Last Updated on: 25-May-09

Administrative Contact:
Sundaresan, Vignesh vignesh.isquare@gmail.com
ISquare
280-A LLoyds Road
Gopalapuram
Chennai, Tamil Nadu 600086
India
00971554906134 Fax --

Technical Contact:
Sundaresan, Vignesh vignesh.isquare@gmail.com
ISquare
280-A LLoyds Road
Gopalapuram
Chennai, Tamil Nadu 600086
India
00971554906134 Fax --

Domain servers in listed order:
NS35.DOMAINCONTROL.COM
NS36.DOMAINCONTROL.COM


I highly suspect IAC will blame this on rogue affiliates, but personally, I'll not be convinced.

No comments: