Blog for hpHosts, and whatever else I feel like writing about ....

Tuesday 10 February 2009

Important notice for Index.dat Suite + Windows Vista users

This is an important notice for those using Index.dat Suite on Vista. Whilst I don't have Vista myself, I've not had anyone report any major problems when using the program and using the WinLogon option (instead of the default RunOnce).

Today however, I had a user e-mail me to inform me that he followed the instructions usually given to Vista users, and his computer no longer boots (recovery instructions have been given). I must therefore recommend those using Vista NOT ask Index.dat Suite to use the WinLogon setting until I can find out what happened.

If you do ask the program to use the WinLogon key instead of the Run/RunOnce keys, and experience the same issue, please use the following instructions to allow the system to boot again;

Boot into Safe Mode and disable the batch file

To boot the computer into Safe Mode;

1. Whilst the computer is loading, tap the F8 key until the boot menu appears
2. Select Safe Mode from the list of options
3. Once in Safe Mode, click Start
4. Enter the following into the Search/Run box and press enter;

msconfig

5. Locate the Index.dat Suite entry and remove it
6. Close msconfig (DO NOT re-start if asked to)

Restore the original WinLogon value

To restore the original WinLogon value;

1. Click Start
2. Enter the following into the Search/Run box and press enter;

C:\Program Files\Index.dat Suite\reg_winlogon_backup.reg

3. Click Yes when asked if you want to merge the file

This will restore the WinLogon registry key to it's original value

Finally, re-start your computer

/edit 17-06-2009

I've been trying to reproduce this and whilst I've been successful on some systems, others have behaved normally, so at this point, I'm unable to give an answer as to why this is occuring. Based on this, I would not recommend using Index.dat Suite to delete the index.dat files unless you are competent in using the command line to restore the original registry value, should this issue occur on your system.

If you do NOT have access to the desktop after following the above, or cannot locate the Index.dat Suite entry in msconfig

1. Whilst the computer is loading, tap the F8 key until the boot menu appears
2. Select Safe Mode with Command Prompt from the list of options
3. Navigate to the Index.dat Suite folder;

cd "C:\Program Files\Index.dat Suite\"


4. Import the original WinLogon value;

regedit /I reg_winlogon_backup.reg


5. Finally, re-start your computer.

No comments: